Voting

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Let's Get To the Point, It's Mighty Fine!

I have always loved to draw.  As most children, I'm sure I started out with crayons and markers.  Then, when I was old enough to not poke my own eye out, moved up to pencils.  Eventually, pens.  I do enjoy painting as well, there is something about the precision of a fine point pen that is so pleasing to me.



Before I continue, I'd like to share some of my earliest memories of my love for Sharpies.  In third grade, my teacher, Ms. Olson, was very good at integrating art into the curriculum.  My favorite projects were when she would teach us about artists, telling us stories of their lives (she didn't even hold back telling us that Vincent Van Gogh cut off his own ear!).  Then, we would 'replicate' a famous work of the artist we were learning about that week.

"Sunflowers" by Vincent Van Gogh & me 9.15.92
 
"The Starry Night" by Vincent Van Gogh & myself circa 1992

The combination of story time, seeing what was produced by the artist based on their experiences, and walking in their footsteps through art had a huge impact on me!  Sure, it was watercolors and a Fine Point Sharpie in my eight year old hands at the time, but I knew art was something I truly loved.

"Red Poppy" by Georgia O'Keeffe & myself 4.5.93

  I would meticulously work on my art, trying to get as much detail as I possibly could.  My amazing teacher could see that I really cared about my projects, so she would let me spend extra time on my art when we had free time or play time during class.  I am forever grateful that she allowed me that time and nurtured my gift.

"American Gothic" by Grant Wood & myself 1.21.93    


I think of the twists and turns where art has taken me.  It's funny how my current style is somewhat reminiscent of what I enjoyed so much long ago.  I now work mostly with acrylic paints, but I still love the pop that is created by the bold black lines.  I like how once the permanent ink is down, there is no going back.  You either don't mess up, or you make that mistake part of the plan.  You create your own coloring book on the fly.  It is glorious!
"North and South" original, acrylic and ink on canvas
 
"Body Form" original, acrylic and ink on panel
 
"Roamer" original, acrylic and ink on canvas
I've enjoyed time with the standard Fine Point Sharpie, and I probably always will.  Though, the markers did not always like the textured surface with paint, we made it work.  I've also liked using the Ultra Fine point for more detailed work.  My most recent obsession isn't actually in the Sharpie family, but feels like a close relative.  It is the Pitt Artist Pen with an extra small point of .1mm!  I didn't know such a pen existed until I went on a hunt for the finest ink point I could find.  I have to say, I'm pretty happy with it!  It produces a solid line, but also leaves room for precision that I haven't had since my pencil days!  

The first project I did with my .1mm pen was a gift for my mom for her birthday.  She has been a great support in my life, so it only seemed fitting to create something for her.  I followed a flower theme since she has a green thumb, always surrounded with beautiful blossoms and plants. 


I have more ink pieces in the works that I will share in the weeks to come as they progress.  Thank you to Ms. Olson, for seeing something in me.  Thank you to my family, friends, and followers for the endless support and encouragement!  It means the world to me!  Thank you!
  

1 comment: